The Alabama Board of Architects requires Alabama-registered architects to complete 12 (twelve) hours of continuing education every year.
- CE Requirement: Twelve (12) CEHs (Continuing Education Hours) annually (see "CE Cycle" below). All twelve (12) CEHs must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW) credits.
- CE Cycle: Annual - from October 1 to September 30.
- Acceptable Coursework: At least eight (8) of the twelve (12) hours must be earned structured study (i.e. seminar, internet or correspondence course) and a maximum of four (4) hours may be earned in self-directed setting (activity related to the registrant's profession but not designed and systematically presented as a continuing education activity e.g. publication of an article or book, making a professional or technical presentation, being an active member or officer of professional organization, teaching, etc.). The Alabama Board does not pre-approve providers of continuing education. Choose continuing education activities for which you will receive a certificate of completion showing verifiable course information (AIA, USGBC course number, etc). Use your professional judgment to determine if an activity meets the Board's criteria as summarized in this post and - most importantly - as detailed on Board's website (see "Source" at the end of this post for weblink).
- Reporting of Credits: Providers CANNOT report continuing education credits earned to the Alabama Board. However, registrants - as part of the annual renewal process - MUST complete the Continuing Education Annual Report Form attesting to the fulfillment of all continuing education requirements.
- Tracking of Credits: Members are responsible for maintaining proof of successful completion of continuing education activities for at least one year from the renewal date for which they were claimed. Did you know? Design Arts Seminars keeps track of the courses you take with us and provides you with online access to your transcript saving you both time and money, especially in case of audit.
- Audit: A random sample of registrants will be selected for an in-depth audit to verify compliance with continuing education requirements.
Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.