Kansas Architecture Continuing Education Requirements
Marifi Tipton, June 1, 2020
The Kansas State Board of Technical Professionals requires Kansas-licensed Architects to complete 30 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) in Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW) subjects every two years.
- CE Requirement: 30 HSW Professional Development Hours (PDHs) in every two-year period prior to the biennial renewal date of June 30 (see below for year).
- Renewal Date: June 30 of even-numbered years for those whose last name begins with A through L and June 30 of odd-numbered years for those whose last name begins with M through Z.
- CE Reporting Cycle: Biennial. Credits must be earned between July 1 of the renewing year and June 30 of the next renewal year (for example July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2022).
- Acceptable Coursework: The Kansas State Board does not pre-approve courses or providers. Courses approved by AIA under the HSW designation are generally acceptable. It is up to the licensee to determine whether the activity meets the Board’s requirements.
- Reporting of Credits: Licensees are required to sign a statement to confirm that they have met this requirement before renewing.
- Tracking of Credits: Records of continuing education should be kept for at least four years for auditing purposes. Did you know? Design Arts Seminars keeps track of the courses you take with us.
- Audits: A random sample of licensees will be audited to verify compliance with continuing education requirements. If audited (or if otherwise requested by the Board), registrants will be asked to provide supporting documentation of continuing education activities.
- Carry Over: If you earn more than the required 30 PDHs in a renewal period, you may carry up to 15 PDHs over to the subsequent renewal period.