Illinois Architecture Continuing Education Requirements
Micène Fontaine, April 2, 2018
The Design Unit of the Illinois Division of Professional Regulation requires Illinois-licensed architects to complete 24 hours of continuing education every two years.
- CE Requirement: 24 hours of continuing education, of which at least 16 must address health, safety and welfare (HSW) issues AND must be earned in a structured setting (e.g. seminar, internet or correspondence course). The remaining 8 CEUs may be earned in self-directed setting (activity related to the registrant's profession but not designed and systematically presented as a continuing education activity e.g. serving on planning commissions, building code advisory boards, urban renewal boards, code study committees, regulatory boards, being an active member or officer of professional organization, etc.).
- CE Cycle: 2-year cycle running from December 1 of even-numbered years through November 30 of the following even-numbered-year (for instance, 12/1/2016 though 11/30/2018).
- Acceptable Coursework: The Division does not pre-approve courses. However, courses approved by the AIA under the HSW designation are typically deemed acceptable.
- Reporting of Credits: Providers CANNOT report continuing education credits earned to the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation. Licensees are responsible for tracking courses and maintaining supporting documentation in case of an audit. Transcripts and other back-up information will not be accepted by the board, unless a registrant is audited.
- Tracking of Credits: Licensees are responsible for maintaining proof of successful completion of continuing education activities for at least 4 years following the renewal period for which the continuing education was taken.
- Audit: A random sample of registrants will be selected for an in-depth audit to verify compliance with continuing education requirements.
- Carry-over credits: Not allowed.
Please post your comments or questions in the comments section below or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.