West Virginia Architecture Continuing Education Requirements
Cindy Grant, June 23, 2020
The West Virginia Board of Architects requires West Virginia-registered architects to complete 12 hours of continuing education every calendar year.
- CE Requirement: 12 Continuing Education Hours (CEHs) every calendar year. All 12 CEHs must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW) credits.
- Renewal Deadline: June 30 every year.
- CE Reporting Cycle: Annually based on the calendar year. Architects must earn the required credits in the calendar year preceding the license renewal (e.g. January 1 through December 31, 2019, for the June 30, 2020 renewal)
- Acceptable Coursework: The West Virginia Board does NOT pre-approve courses or providers. Courses approved by AIA under the HSW designation are generally acceptable. It is up to the licensee to determine whether the activity meets the Board’s requirements. As always, final discretion is up to the Board. Reporting of Credits: Registrants attest to completing the annual continuing education requirement as a condition of renewal.
- Tracking of Credits: Registered Architects are responsible for maintaining proof of successful completion of continuing education activities for at least the previous two calendar years.
- Audits: The Board randomly audits 5% of registrants to ensure compliance.
- Carry-Over: CEHs may not be carried over into the next calendar year.