Montana Architect Continuing Education Requirements
Steven Faviano, December 13, 2021
Montana architects are required to complete 12 hours of Continuing Education every calendar year.
- CE Requirement: 12 hours of Continuing Education, all of which must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW).
- Renewal Date: June 30 every year.
- CE Cycle: Annual - Licensees are required to earn continuing education within the calendar year immediately preceding the renewal date. (i.e. credits must be earned between January 1 and December 31).
- Acceptable Coursework: The Montana Board of Architects does not pre-approve courses. However, courses approved by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) or the Interior Design Continuing Education Council (IDCEC) under the HSW designation are generally accepted but it is the registrant's responsibility to use their professional judgment to determine if an activity meets the Board's criteria as summarized in this post and as detailed on Board's website. Final discretion is up to the Board.
- Reporting of Credits: Providers cannot report continuing education credits earned to the Montana Board. However, licensees are required to attest that they are in compliance with the Board’s CE requirements on the annual renewal application. Design Arts Seminars reports credits electronically whenever possible.
- Tracking of Credits: Records of successful completion of continuing education should be kept for at least 2 years following the license renewal for which credits were claimed.
- Audit: All architects licensed in Montana are subject to audit by the Board and upon request will need to provide documentation to support the credits claimed at renewal.
- Carry-over Credits: Not permitted.
- Are you licensed in another state? If so, check out the Architecture Continuing Education Requirements.
- Also a member of the American Institute of Architects? Check out the AIA Continuing Education Requirements.
- Have any questions? Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.