Missouri Architecture Continuing Education Requirements
Cindy Grant, November 30, 2020
The Missouri Architects Board requires that Missouri-licensed architects complete 24 Continuing Education Units (CEU) every two years prior to license renewal. 16 of the CEUs must be related to health safety and welfare (HSW) and acquired in structured educational activities.
- CE Requirement: 24 CEUs every two year period prior to the biennium renewal date. 16 CEUs must qualify as HSW credits.
- CE Reporting Cycle: Architects licensed in an even number year are required to renew their license by December 31st of each even numbered year. Architects licensed in an odd number year are required to renew their license by December 31st of each odd numbered year.
- Acceptable Coursework: The Board does not pre-approve activities or courses. Courses approved by AIA under the appropriate designation are generally acceptable. It is up to the licensee to determine whether the activity meets the Board’s requirements. As always, final discretion is up to the Board.
Tip: If you hold a professional membership such as AIA (check out the AIA Continuing Education Requirements) and/or multiple state-issued architecture license or registration, you can claim credits toward both provided the course is duly approved.
- Reporting of Credits: It is necessary to certify completion of the required continuing education hours or to place a license in “Inactive” status. A license will automatically expire if neither action is taken.
- Tracking of Credits: Licensees should keep record of successful completion of continuing education activities for at least 4 years from completion/certification.
- Audit: Audits are conducted randomly. If selected for audit, documentation of CE activities will be required.
- Carry-over Credits: A maximum of 12 CEUs may be carried over to the next reporting period.
- Board For Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors and Professional Landscape Architects
- Fact Sheet