Mississippi Architect Continuing Education Requirements
Steven Faviano, January 13, 2022
Licensed Mississippi architects are required to complete 12 hours of Continuing Education every calendar year.
- CE Requirement: 12 Continuing Education Hours (CEHs) every calendar year so that 24 CEHs have been earned for the biennial renewal. All hours must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW).
- Renewal Date: November 30 of odd-numbered years.
- CE Cycle: Biennial - Licensees are required to earn CEHs within 2 calendar years of the renewal date (e.g 24 CEHs must be earned between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2023 for the November 30, 2023 renewal).
- Acceptable Coursework: The Mississippi State Board of Architecture does not pre-approve credits. Courses approved by the AIA under the HSW designation are generally accepted but it is the licensee's responsibility to use their professional judgment to determine if an activity meets the Board's criteria as summarized in this post and as detailed on Board's website. Final discretion is up to the board.
- Reporting of Credits: Providers cannot report continuing education credits earned to the Mississippi Board. Licensees are required to certify that they are in compliance with the Board’s CE requirements on the biennial renewal application. Design Arts Seminars reports credits electronically whenever possible.
- Tracking of Credits: Records of successful completion of continuing education should be kept for at least 6 years following the registration renewal for which credits were claimed.
- Audit: All architects licensed in Mississippi are subject to random audit by the Board and upon request will need to provide documentation to support the credits claimed at renewal. If audited, licensees may use AIA course transcripts as documentation.
- Carry-over Credits: Not permitted.
- Are you licensed in another state? If so, check out the Architecture Continuing Education Requirements.
- Also a member of the American Institute of Architects? Check out the AIA Continuing Education Requirements.
- Have any questions? Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.