Massachusetts Architecture Continuing Education Requirements
Cindy Grant, July 12, 2021
The Massachusetts Board of Registration of Architects requires Massachusetts-registered architects to complete 12 hours of continuing education every year.
- CE Requirement: 12 Continuing Education (CE) hours every year. All 12 CE hours must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW) credits.
- Renewal Deadline: August 31 every year.
- CE Reporting Cycle: Annually based on the renewal cycle. Architects must earn the required credits in the year preceding the license renewal (e.g. September 1, 2020 through August 31, 2021 for the August 31, 2021 renewal)
- Acceptable Coursework: The Massachusetts State Board of Architects does NOT pre-approve courses or providers. The Board automatically accepts courses approved by AIA under the HSW designation. Did you know Design Arts Seminars reports credits electronically to AIA weekly? As always, it is up to the licensee to determine whether the activity meets the Board’s requirements and final discretion is up to the Board.
- Reporting of Credits: Registrants attest to completing the annual continuing education requirement on the license renewal form.
- Tracking of Credits: Registered Architects are responsible for maintaining proof of successful completion of continuing education activities for at least two consecutive registration periods.
- Audits: A random audit is performed for verification of compliance with requirements. If selected for audit, documentation of CE activities will be required.
- Carry-Over: Not permitted.