Earning CEUs with Distance Learning Courses.
Micène Fontaine, July 6, 2017
We get asked this question often: "Can I earn CEU Credits by completing distance learning courses?"
The short answer is: "In most cases yes, but..."
What’s distance learning anyway?
Distance learning is any formal learning activity delivered in such a way that the learner and the instructor are separated by time and/or space. Most common examples include:
- Correspondence Courses
- Online Courses
NOTE: Distance learning courses typically undergo a more strenuous review and approval process, including beta testing, before being approved for continuing education credits.
What about self-directed learning?
Any informal learning activity that YOU planned and want to claim CEU credits for. As opposed to:
- A formal learning activity (seminars, distance learning, etc.)
- Designed by a third party (such a provider of continuing education)
- Reviewed and approved for continuing education credits (by the AIA or IDCEC for instance)
NOTE: Most states do not allow CEU credits for self-directed learning. When they do, it is very few credits and, because it is not a pre-approved CEU, the states require you keep detailed documentation (receipts, notes, etc.) about the activity in case of audit.
- In most states, you can earn CEU credits via distance learning to satisfy the continuing education requirements for the renewal of your architecture, interior design, or landscape architecture license/registration.
- Some – very few – states limit the number of credits you can earn via distance learning (New York for architects and Alabama for interior designers are two examples of states that have such limitations).
- Of course the course must meet your state’s requirements for acceptable CEU Credits, which typically consists of approval by AIA, IDCEC, ASLA, and/or your state board under the desired designation (usually HSW / Health, Safety, and Welfare)
Keep in mind that each state has its own set of rules. When in doubt:
- Check out your state board’s website
- Visit our blog at http://www.designarts.org/blog
- Reach out to us: email@example.com | @DASceu | 1.800.264.9605
Did you know?