The AIA (American Institute of Architects) requires members to complete eighteen (18) Learning Units (LUs) of continuing education every year to retain their membership.
- Requirement: Eighteen (18) hours of continuing education total, of which twelve (12) must be on the topics of Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW). One hour of continuing education equals 1 LU.
- Cycle: Annual (calendar year).
- Acceptable Credits: HSW LUs may only be earned by completing courses offered by an AIA CES Registered Provider, who is responsible for reporting earned credits directly to the AIA. Note: Design Arts Seminars, Inc. is an AIA CES Registered Passport Provider.
- Reporting of Credits: AIA CES Registered Providers must report credits to the AIA for inclusion on a member's transcript. Self-reporting by members is only allowed for non-HSW credits earned via courses offered by providers outside of the AIA CES Provider network.
- Tracking of Credits: Credits earned by AIA members are recorded on members' transcripts (see "Reporting of Credits" section above).
- Audit: The AIA performs an annual non-compliance member audit.
- Carry-over Credits: The AIA allows members to rollover up to 18 LUs, including the 12 HSW LUs. Credits may not be carried over past the one year limit.
Source: American Institute of Architects
Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.