Alaska Architect Continuing Education Requirements
Steven Faviano, December 10, 2021
Registered Alaska architects are required to complete 24 hours of Continuing Education every 2 years.
- CE Requirement: 24 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) every 2-year period. All credits must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW).
- Renewal Date: December 31 of odd-numbered years.
- CE Cycle: Biennial - Registrants are required to earned PDHs in the 2 calendar years immediately preceding the renewal date (e.g. 24 PDHs must be earned between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021 for the December 31, 2021 renewal).
- Acceptable Coursework: The Alaska Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors does not pre-approve credits. Courses approved by the AIA under the HSW designation are generally accepted but it is the registrant's responsibility to use their professional judgment to determine if an activity meets the Board's criteria as summarized in this post and as detailed on Board's website. Final discretion is up to the board.
- Reporting of Credits: Providers cannot report continuing education credits earned to the Alaska Board. Registrants are required to certify that they are in compliance with the Board’s CE requirements on the biennial renewal application. Design Arts Seminars reports credits electronically whenever possible.
- Tracking of Credits: Records of successful completion of continuing education should be kept for at least 4 years following the registration renewal for which credits were claimed.
- Audit: All architects registered in Alaska are subject to audit by the Board and upon request will need to provide documentation to support the credits claimed at renewal. For your convenience, an optional CE Development Report template is available for your use.
- Carry-over Credits: Registrants are permitted to carry-over up to 12 PDHs in excess of the required amount from your previous reporting cycle.
- Are you licensed in another state? If so, check out the Architecture Continuing Education Requirements.
- Also a member of the American Institute of Architects? Check out the AIA Continuing Education Requirements.
- Have any questions? Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.