The North Carolina Board of Architecture requires North Carolina-registered architects to complete 12 (twelve) hours of continuing education every year.
- CE Requirement: 12 HSW Contact Hours (CHs) per calendar year (see "CE Reporting Cycle" below). All twelve CHs must qualify as Health, Safety & Welfare (HSW) credits.
- CE Reporting Cycle: Calendar year (January 1 - December 31).
- License Renewal Cycle: July 1 - June 30. In other words, NC architects are required the earn 12 HSW Contact Hours per calendar year, which count towards the June 30 renewal of their license the following year (for instance, credits earned during the 2018 calendar year will count towards the 2019 license renewal, credits earned during the 2019 calendar year will count towards the 2020 license renewal, etc.)
- Acceptable Coursework: The North Carolina Board of Architecture does not pre-approve courses or providers of continuing education. Use your professional judgment to determine if an activity meets the Board's criteria as summarized in this post and - most importantly - as detailed on Board's website (see "Source" below).
- Reporting of Credits: Providers CANNOT report continuing education credits earned to the Board, neither can registrants (except in case of audit - see "audit" below).
- Tracking of Credits: Members are responsible for maintaining proof of successful completion of continuing education activities for at least six years from date of completion.
- Audit: A random sample of registrants will be audited. If audited (and only if audited), registrants will be asked to produce proof of compliance.
Post comments or questions on this blog or contact Design Arts Seminars, Inc.